Blondie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Mmmmmm. I have to start with that. These are just so yummy. In fact, while eating one after dinner the other night, hubby says, “You have to make these again soon”. Ummm, they’re not even gone and I’m getting a request for more!
It all started with the blondie recipe 6 or so years ago and I pulled it out again after a long time to give to Kendra to make for yet another shower. When I tasted them again, I knew I had to do something with the recipe for the blog. I’ve tweaked it a bit because I knew I would have to cut them lengthwise and with how many chocolate chips they had and how gooey they were, it wasn’t going to go well. So here it goes. They are worth every minute of the time it takes to make them.
First things first, mix up the blondies and stick them in the oven.
Once out of the oven, let them cool 20-30 minutes before taking them out of the pan. I flipped them out onto a cutting board once they were ready.
Cut the slab in quarters and then each quarter in half lengthwise. This is the tricky part because it’s a little delicate. As you can see, the chocolate chips are still hot and melty. I had a bit of cracking of the blondie but once it cools, the chocolate chips harden and keep it all together. That’s the point of throwing them in the freezer… well, maybe just carefully place them in the freezer.
Next is the exciting part where they turn into ice cream sandwiches. Spread the slightly softened ice cream all over the bottom pieces. Be generous!
And top with the tops… and you have a sandwich.
Wrap them up and place them in the freezer again until you’re ready to serve.
Homemade Blondie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes: 16 sandwiches
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 2 cups (500 mL) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream, or ice cream of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan and dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a hand mixer will work too), add the brown sugar and butter. Beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Beat until incorporated. Add flour mixture and chocolate chips. Beat on low speed just until flour is no longer visible.
- Spread the batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pan for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from pan carefully and cut into quarters. Take each quarter and carefully cut it lengthwise, using a sharp serrated knife. Make sure to do this when it is still warm so that you can cut through the chocolate chips but not too hot as it will be too flimsy and break on you.
- Place the 8 cut pieces into the freezer, laying flat, to completely cool and harden. Once hard, remove from freezer along with desired ice cream. (You may want to take the ice cream out of the freezer a bit earlier so that it has time to soften.)
- Spread ice cream onto the 4 bottom pieces and press top pieces onto the ice cream to make a sandwich. Wrap in plastic wrap and return to freezer to harden. When ready to serve, each piece can be cut into 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: “Bite Me”, Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat. Pinky Swear Press Inc. 2009.